Learn about the promised blessings we receive from giving service.
Submitted by Kris and Diana
- Opening Song: Lord, I Would Follow Thee, Hymn #220
- Ponder over acts of service you have given or received and how they blessed your life
- Scripture: “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God” Mosiah 2:17
What is Service?
In the book, Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, the prophet shares his ideas on the given topic. He says,
“Let love be the Polar Star of our lives in reaching out to those who need our strength. There are many among us who lie alone in pain. Medicine helps, but kind words can bring to pass miracles. Many there are who walk in frightening circumstances, fearful and unable to cope. There are good Bishops and Relief Society Officers who are available to help, but these cannot do it all. Each of us can and must be anxiously engaged.” (P. 596 paragraph 1)
“What a therapeutic and wonderful thing it is for a man or a woman to set aside all consideration of personal gain and reach out with strength and energy and purpose to help the unfortunate, to improve the community, to clean up the environment, and to beautify our surroundings.” (P. 596 paragraph 5)
“Brothers and sisters, you will never be happy if you go through life thinking only of yourself. Get lost in the best cause in the world-the cause of the Lord.” (P. 597 paragraph 2)
The Lord declared: “He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.” (Matt. 10:39)
What are different ways that we can give service to others?
- Have family members give examples:
- Clean the house for your mother.
- Work on the car with dad, or sweep out his garage.
- Bake something nice for someone.
- Visit the elderly in nursing homes
- Rake someone’s yard or shovel their driveway
- Do temple work and baptisms for the dead
Keep in mind there is no right or wrong answer.
What are some examples of service in the scriptures?
- Jesus healing (Mathew 8:2-4)
- Captain Moroni (Alma 46:13)
- Alma the younger (Alma 30:33)
- Ten thousand stripling warriors (Alma 57:17-27)
Watch Jesus teach about service in the video “Ye Have Do it Unto Me” embedded below.
Invite a family member to share a personal experience of an act of service they provided another.
Our Personal Testimony
In the past, we served as Sunday school teachers for the Spanish prisoners in a nearby correction facility. Every other Sunday, we go out to the prison to teach a small number of Latin Americans the gospel in Spanish and English. I have to admit, when we started teaching these men, I felt a little apprehensive. We are teaching prisoners, and there are many precautions that we have to take for our safety.
Last week we attended the English-speaking class. We were discussing with the prisoners about the three degrees of glory and what it takes to gain the highest degree in the celestial kingdom. We were talking about all the steps and ordinances that you have to complete before you even qualify for that kingdom, and all of a sudden one of the prisoners shot his hand in the air with a question and as he was called on, he said, “I want to be baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. What do I have to do?”
I felt the spirit in that little classroom as we next talked about repentance and the steps of repentance that bring us to baptism. I felt the spirit bear testimony to myself and all those in the room that what we were talking about was true. I could also see that the spirit bore witness to this prisoner. That he too would have the chance to complete his repentance and then one day be baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ.
I know that fulfilling our callings is service in the church. I know that when we serve others, it brings us closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that God loves all his children, wherever they are or whoever they are. What a wonderful gospel plan! What a loving Heavenly Father who allows us to repent of our sins and come unto him. I love the scripture, “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:17).
- Bake cookies as a family and bring them to a neighbor or a loved one.
- Write your testimonies in a Book of Mormon. Pray as a family to give the Book of Mormon to someone within the next month.
- Write letters to a missionary serving in your ward expressing your love for them. Ask them to share with you an act of service given on their mission.
Add your testimony of service by sharing this post on social media and leave a comment with family service project ideas.