This lesson will help primary children complete their Faith in God requirements and understand the events of Joseph Smith’s First Vision.
Give a family home evening lesson on Joseph Smith’s First Vision (see Joseph Smith-History 1:1-20). Discuss how Heavenly Father answers our sincere prayers. – Learning and Living the Gospel, Faith in God Booklet
- Review (In the Pearl of Great Price) Joseph Smith History 1:1-20 and the following scriptures on prayer. 1 Nephi 15:11, Alma 22:16, D&C 18:18
- Ask an adult family member to have Ice Cream or some other family treat available the night of your FHE.
- Print out at least two copies of the First Vision Quiz.
Opening Song: Joseph Smith’s First Prayer, Hymn #26
Ask a family member to give an opening prayer
Watch the video of the restoration or ask an adult family member to read JSH 1:1-20. Ask the following questions and try to provide the answer yourself first:
- Why did Joseph Smith go to the Grove?
- Who did he see?
- What answer did he receive?
Read to your family one of the scripture references on prayer listed above. Share a story of how Heavenly Father has answered one of your prayers and ask an older family member to share a story too.
Activity: Divide the family into two teams and complete the quiz. Which ever team finishes the quiz fastest with the most correct answers is the winner. The losing team will be in charge of serving the refreshments.
Ask a family member to give the closing prayer and enjoy refreshments.