This lesson will help primary children complete their Faith in God requirements and understand ways the Holy Ghost helps us.
Mark these verses about the Holy Ghost in your scriptures: John 14:16-17, 2 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5. Discuss ways the Holy Ghost helps you. – Learning and Living the Gospel, Faith in God Booklet
- Review John 14:16-17, 2 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5; for further information about the Holy Ghost look up the definition in the Bible Dictionary.
- Ask family members to bring their scriptures and scripture highlighters or pencils.
- Ask an adult family member to have Root Beer and Vanilla Ice Cream for Root Beer Floats or some other family treat available the night of your FHE.
- Opening Song: The Holy Ghost: Children’s Songbook #105
- Ask a family member to give the opening prayer
- Ask family member to read the following talk by James E. Faust.
How the Holy Ghost Helps You
By Elder James E. Faust
Friend, Mar. 1990, inside front cover
I want to tell you young people about the remarkable and sacred gift of the Holy Ghost. This Comforter, which is available to everybody, is a personage of spirit and a member of the Godhead.
The scriptures explain why the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit: “The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit.
Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us” (D&C 130:22).
The comforting Spirit of the Holy Ghost can be with us twenty-four hours a day: when we work, when we play, when we rest. Its strengthening influence can be with us year in and year out, when we are happy and when we are sad.
I believe that the Spirit of the Holy Ghost is the surest guardian of our inner peace. It can be more mind-expanding and can make us have a better sense of well-being than any chemical or other earthly substance.
This Comforter can be with us as we seek to improve. It can function as a source of revelation to warn us of impending danger and also help to keep us from making mistakes.
It can enhance our natural senses so that we can see more clearly, hear more keenly, and remember what we should remember. It helps us to be happy.
I pray that the promise of the Lord will be fulfilled for each of us and that the Holy Ghost shall be our constant companion, who will help us to be more righteous and to know the truth. (See D&C 121:46.)
- Ask your family to grab their scriptures and tell them you are going to read some scriptures about the Holy Ghost and mark them in your scriptures together. Take turns reading John 14:16-17, 2 Nephi 32:5, and Moroni 10:5. After each scripture discuss what is promised and what the Holy Ghost can provide each of us.
- Ask a family member to give a testimony of how the Holy Ghost has helped them in their lives or share one of your own.
- As an activity, have everyone flip through their scriptures and find a passage that they highlighted at one time to share with the family and tell what it means to them.
- Ask a family member to give a closing prayer and enjoy refreshments.